The primary objective of the ITU Athlete Scholarship Programme is to identify and provide support, resources and expertise to athletes from developing/emerging National Federations with the greatest needs to compete at Continental and World level over the Olympic Qualification and help their preparation and qualification for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
Athletes selected for the ITU Athlete Scholarship Programme will be carefully ‘placed’ in a programme commensurate with their specific needs in the interest of their progressive development to an elite level. Placements will vary in duration and form depending on the specific outline of the programme developed by the NF in conjunction with the ITU Development deemed to be conducive to the athlete’s development needs.
The target group will be athletes from developing National Federations who have already shown competence at a Continental and World level and are looking to make the step up to top level training and racing, but need the support in order to do so. These athletes should be seen as Olympic prospects (Tokyo 2020 & Paris 2024) by their National Federations. The athletes will be drawn primarily from U23 and Elite ranks, but junior athletes can also be considered as part of the next generation for the future.
Athletes need to be registered and in good standing with their National Federations and have shown the ability to race at a high standard in Continental and World Cup level competition. The athletes nominated should be committed to competing in the long term and have the Olympic Games as an ultimate objective.
The following criteria will be considered by the ITU Development in the selection process:
• Top 5 placing at Continental Championship in Elite, U23 or Junior category in the past two years among the developing/emerging NFs.
• Must be from a country regarded as an emerging/developing country. All applications will be considered in conjunction with a strong endorsement from the athlete’s National Federation.
The applications should be submitted to the ITU Development (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Friday 22nd March 2019. Successful applicants will be informed by mid-April 2019 which time the ITU Development and appointed officers will coordinate the plans with the successful athletes and the NF.
PLEASE NOTE: All applications MUST be submitted by the respective National Federation of the applicant. The National Federation must be in good standing with ITU.
Successful applicants will receive the following:
• The amount of funding allocated to each athlete depend on the matching funds obtained by the NF from Olympic Solidarity grants and to the programme outline submitted by the NF for each candidate.
• Six (6) month scholarship (between from May to October 2019)
Use of the ITU Athlete Scholarship
The ITU Athlete Scholarship is entitled to be used for the followings as per defined in the athlete’s 2019 planning and approved by ITU Development:
- Participation (travel, accommodation) at qualification races on the way to Tokyo 2020,
- Training camps,
- Massage, Physiotherapy,
- Equipment support.
Evaluation and Requirements of Recipients
The athletes selected will be tracked for the duration of the placement and regular reporting will be required from the candidates and their personal coaches.
Athletes who receive an ITU Athlete Scholarship will be required to compete in the Continental Championship in the year of receiving the scholarship.
All recipients must make themselves available (within reason and without interfering with the athletes training, racing and school commitments) for interviews and photo sessions to promote the programme in their own country and internationally.
All recipients must either organise or be involved in a Community or Youth Triathlon Project within their home NF within their scholarship year and submit a detailed report to ITU Development within 2 weeks of the project taking place.
For more information on the ITU Athlete Scholarship Programme please contact Zita Csovelyak, Senior Manager – ITU Development at email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: FRIDAY 22nd MARCH, 2019.
Download the Application Form here.
- 2019 Tongyeong ASICS World Triathlon Team Korea, South • 19 Oct, 2019
- 2019 Funchal ITU Paratriathlon Technical Officials E-learning Course Portugal • 18 Oct, 2019
- 2019 Pula ITU Coaches Level 2 Course Croatia • 10 Oct, 2019
- 2019 Alanya ITU Paratriathlon Technical Officials E-learning Course Turkey • 04 Oct, 2019
- 2019 Weihai ASICS World Triathlon Team China • 21 Sep, 2019
2018 KTF ITU Coaches Course23 Dec, 2018
ASICS World Triathlon Team - Salinas World Cup29 Oct, 2018